Daniels Middle School PTA
Returned Check Policy
Adopted: September 20, 2012
Daniels Middle School PTA recognizes the tremendous financial support given by our parents. We understand that occasionally, people have to deal with economic issues that result in a returned check. At the same time, we are a volunteer non-profit organization and must protect our assets.
Daniels Middle School PTA considers receipt of checks written on insufficient funds (hereinafter NSF checks) to be a serious matter and will take necessary steps to collect all funds owed to the PTA for events, activities, or goods. The procedures outlined below will be used in the collection of outstanding funds on NSF checks.
Initial NSF notice from banking institution:
- The check writer will be notified of the NSF check by telephone or email. The check writer will need to respond to the contact within five (5) days to make arrangements for payment of the NSF check plus a service fee of $25 or the maximum amount allowed by NCGS § 25-3-506. All attempts to contact the writer will be documented with date, time, type, and information obtained.
- If contact has not been made within five (5) days, an invoice will be sent via “certified mail” to the check writer for the amount of the NSF check plus a service fee of $25 or the maximum amount as allowed by NCGS § 25-3-506.
- Immediate payment will be expected in the form of cash or money order.
- Cash – Must be given to on eof the following PTA Executive Board Members: President, President-Elect or Treasurer
- Money Order – May be mailed to Daniels Middle School PTA, 2816 Oberlin Road, Raleigh, NC 27608 or given to one of the above-listed PTA Executive Board Members.
- The check writer’s name may be entered onto the Returned Check List and may be provided to all Daniels Middle School PTA committees who receive check payments. Until the returned check amount is paid in full, such names will remain on the list and the PTA will not accept a check for a payment for any event, activity, or purchase.
- After thirty (30) days of nonpayment, the PTA may begin aggressive steps to obtain payment up to and including following North Carolina laws for collection on NSF checks.
DMS NSF Policy